Having issues networking during COVID-19? Here’s a tactical roadmap on how to build your professional network during a pandemic.
- Make a list of seven companies in your city that you would want to work for.
- Now, search those companies along with a job title that you want in LinkedIn. Take a screenshot of the script in the video. You’re going to send that cold email to people you find in the position you want at the company you want to work for.
- You’re going to spend 20 minutes via Skype, FaceTime or Zoom asking questions like How do they get to their position? What recommendations would they have for someone getting into this field?
- After the interview, you’re going follow up every six months to keep the relationship strong. You’ll update them on your professional journey and build this list of 10 to 20 to 30 individuals, all from different organizations in your city.
- You now have a cheerleader in all these local organizations. So, when a job opening comes up, you have someone to reach out to for recommendation. Basically, the most powerful thing you can have in your application.
This tactically leads to jobs. While your competition is on Netflix, you complete these informational interviews.
I am a heavy award-winning tenured professor, and every week I record a new YouTube video with communication, leadership, and branding hacks just like this one. Subscribe to the channel for a weekly video.